Hillsborough Gamers Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HCC Lounge Group - Second MtG Mega-Block Draft

Go down

Which block would you prefer to draft?

HCC Lounge Group - Second MtG Mega-Block Draft I_vote_lcap0%HCC Lounge Group - Second MtG Mega-Block Draft I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
HCC Lounge Group - Second MtG Mega-Block Draft I_vote_lcap100%HCC Lounge Group - Second MtG Mega-Block Draft I_vote_rcap 100% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 3

HCC Lounge Group - Second MtG Mega-Block Draft Empty HCC Lounge Group - Second MtG Mega-Block Draft

Post  Sephiroth912 Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:59 pm

So now we have completed the first block draft, Onslaught, and seeing as how it was an absolutely resounding success, it's time to plan ahead for the next draft to ensure people can get time off in time and officialize which block we're doing as well as prizes.

Originally, we'd agreed on Time Spiral as the favorite, but now with the release of New Phyrexia spoilers, people have been talking about how they really wanted to do this instead. So the choice is, which do we do?

There are three things to consider when thinking about what you want to draft:
  • Price
  • Card Likeability
  • Prizes

Price I'm frankly not too worried about right now because last time, everyone was able to get in on it with only 2-3 weeks notice. Here you have much more. However, it does affect Prizes, potentially. So here's the deal: as it stands right now, 3 Time Spiral block drafts would likely cost around $55 per person, which is justified by the awesomeness of the block and all the cards in it, while Scars of Mirrodin (including New Phyrexia) would cost $38 for person at the absolute worst. This allows people to obtain brand new and standard legal cards, but it also allows for the ability to chip in a bit more money for higher end prizes, which will be discussed further on.

The date is tentatively scheduled for May 14th, a Thursday just like the last one, and will double as a celebration for the end of the semester and the beginning of (for most of us, I assume) summer vacation. The time will be the same as the last one, at noon. If there are any issues with this (for example, it might be better to do it on a Wednesday for some) post them here and we can figure something out. If New Phyrexia is chosen, the tournament can start no earlier than 2:00PM on the 13th, as I'll need to pick up the boxes and it isn't released until the 13th.

Snacks and drinks will be on a B.Y.O.~. basis this time, owing to how much it cost me the last time. Please bring at least one drink and one snack (preferably a bag of chips or the like) and/or possibly a few dollars and we can order pizza.

Now as for Prizes...

The prize structure of the draft will be the same as last time. People liked this and it allowed for a fair and even distribution regardless of how good you were. If we do Time Spiral block, though, there will not be additional prizes (even door prizes, i.e. the prerelease foils) like last time because the price is $55 a person as is. If New Phyrexia is chosen, however, the entry fee can be adjusted like last time to allow for prizes such as:
  • Additional Boosters
  • Promos
  • Playmats
  • The new Knights Vs. Dragons Duel Decks
  • Sleeves
  • Deck/Card Boxes
  • Highly Desired Rares
  • and more!

Currently I am thinking of putting the entry fee at $45 (which puts $63 in the pool for prizes) and do it something like this:
  • Each person gets 4 random promos from throughout the game's history; 3 Buy-A-Box promos will likely be among these (about $15 total for this)
  • Each person gets a pack of 50 sleeves for their draft decks (about $10 for this).
  • The rest would likely go to rares, chosen to be the prizes for each draft. Examples might include Sol Ring, Demonic Tutor, Mirari's Wake, and Akroma.
  • Plain white 800 count boxes may be chosen as well as they are roughly $1.50 each and are good for players to put their draft pulls to keep track of.

At this time, this is how what we're doing stands. If there are any objections or ideas to push this tournament, please post them here. Do not forget to vote in the poll, this is vital to how we do this draft!!!

- Zack

Last edited by Sephiroth912 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sephiroth912
Sephiroth912
Admin

https://hcgaming.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

HCC Lounge Group - Second MtG Mega-Block Draft Empty Re: HCC Lounge Group - Second MtG Mega-Block Draft

Post  Sephiroth912 Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:20 am

Also an idea might be for people to choose a $1 general in stock at Anthem (in case we do Scars block) that they are interested in and/or would like to build an EDH deck around and this could be included as well. This may be better, however, to do in one of the later block drafts closer to the end of the summer. Just an idea, for people like Gio and Austin who still need decks of their own.

Another idea with this is for people who still need a general to pay me to get it for them while I'm at the shop, assuming everyone else has no desire for a different gen.
Sephiroth912
Sephiroth912
Admin

Back to top Go down

HCC Lounge Group - Second MtG Mega-Block Draft Empty Re: HCC Lounge Group - Second MtG Mega-Block Draft

Post  Sephiroth912 Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:53 pm

Two small notes as well:

For those unfamiliar to the current draft format for the Scars block, we'll be following the official format for drafting this block, since we ARE looking towards getting sanctioned in the future. This format is the reverse of normal, or New Phyrexia, then Mirrodin Besieged, and then Scars of Mirrodin.

Secondly, for those of you unsure about what to draft, how you want to, or what strategies you want to use, I suggest using this draft simulator. There should be a button that reads "Draft Scars of Mirrodin," which can be used to practice w/o New Phyrexia, and then below you'll also want to go pack 1 - Time Spiral, pack 2 - Planar Chaos, and pack 3 - Future Sight. I still don't get Magic Workstation but if anyone knows how to set up online play, we can organize practice duels between draft decks.
Sephiroth912
Sephiroth912
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sephiroth912 Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:51 pm

Updating a little further here:

Prize payout per round (i.e. boosters for round winners) will be exclusively New Phyrexia, seeing as how this set alone is the whole reason we're doing this over Time Spiral.

And I'm thinking that if I can get them at the right price (which I'm fairly certain I can) I'm thinking that the entry fee will be put back up to $46 and the prize for the winner of each draft, owing to it's usefulness in literally any deck, will be a played Revised Sol Ring. Any objections or alternate ideas should be posted here.
Sephiroth912
Sephiroth912
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down